by Paul Rudo on 17/06/11 at 10:12 am
When I was in college, I supported myself by starting my own small business on the side. I still remember collecting all of my receipts and business documents in a plastic bag, and then handing everything off to my bookkeeper at the end of the year.
That was so dumb. If anything happened to that bag, my business would’ve run into some serious problems.
But that’s no longer the case today.
Today’s businesses have access to a wide array of online, electronic bookkeeping applications which make this job so much easier. Especially within the past few years, we’ve seen a lot of important advancements in technology which have made bookkeeping easier.
- Credit card transactions can be automatically added to the books.
- You can use a camera phone to upload a receipt.
- You can collaborate with business partners through a single application.
Bookkeeping is so much easier now than it’s ever been before. Even if you don’t understand accounting, you can still manage your own books.
Below, I’ve compiled a list of the top 20 online bookkeeping applications that are available from a Software-as-a-Service delivery model.
- Zoho Books - Zoho books is the ideal accounting software for small business. Zoho books is easy to use, and lets you share and collaborate effortlessly. And since it’s part of the Zoho suite, you know it’s a great system.
- Outright – The automated approach to bookkeeping. It lets you say goodbye to old-fashioned accounting.
- Kashoo – Kashoo helps you become more organized while also saving you money on accounting fees with their collaborative, tablet-friendly accounting software.
- Pavintheway – Manage your entire company from this full-featured robust online accounting package.
- Clear Books – Time-saving online bookkeeping software that’s in use at thousands of British companies.
- Accounts Portal – Manage your entire business from a single handy and easy-to-use accounting system.
- Yendo – With a Web 2.0 approach to finance, Yendo plays nicely with mobile devices and third-party cloud services.
- Xero – This is an incredibly easy accounting application that makes finance a pleasure.
- Netsuite – Good friends of the blog. This fast-growing company offers CRM, accounting, ERP and ecommerce software… all from a single source, and all from the cloud.
- NolaPro – Allows you to create your own online accounting site, or rent the hosted version directly from them.
- Merchant’s Mirror – This is the next step in the evolution of online small business accounting software.
- Envision Accounting – An online accounting suite that’s specially designed for project-driven companies. Incorporates accounting and project management into a single suite.
- Quickbooks Online – QuickBooks is one of the best-known and most trusted brands in accounting. And this is their hosted online product offering.
- Wave Accounting – Easy to use with a high degree of automation. Get your accounting out of the shoebox, and into this simple, well-organized, secure solution.
- Skyclerk – Skyclerk offers dead simple accounting that’s elegant, reliable and secure.
- Perfect Books – Spend more time focusing on your business with the help of this free, paperless and automated online bookkeeping application.
- Financial Force – A cloud-based financial suite that’s affiliated with SalesForce and UNIT4.
- Freeagent Central – A stress-free online bookkeeping service that’s used every day by thousands of companies.
- Less Accounting – Less Accounting believes that accounting should be easy. Why do more accounting when you can do less accounting?
- Intacct – Award-winning accounting software that’s used by over four thousand organizations.
Do you see one that I missed? Would you like to share your experience with one of the companies I’ve mentioned? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts.